Our modular powerhouse Multi Power is the winning choice to protect the new £70 million Merchant Square office redevelopment in Belfast.
The Multi Power’s proven combination of resilience, “pay as you grow” scalability, and efficiency in a compact footprint made it the obvious option to ensure power continuity at the pioneering construction project.
Merchant Square Key Facts And Figures
- Located on the junction of Wellington Place and Upper Queen Street in Belfast
- Combines the former Oyster House and Royston House buildings next to Belfast City Hall
- Total redevelopment costs approximately £70 million
- 240,000 square feet of mixed-use accommodation
- Includes 225,000 square feet of office space spread over nine floors
- Building features restaurants, a nail bar, and space for an onsite GP, psychologist, and Pilates, yoga, and physiotherapy sessions
- Complex has six high-speed ‘smart lifts’ plus an open staircase (Spanish Steps) linking the fourth, fifth, and sixth floors
- First privately-built commercial building in Northern Ireland to be awarded “Excellent” status by BREEAM UK
- Said to be Belfast’s biggest-ever private sector office letting deal
Multi Power Provides Protection
The specific solution at Merchant Square called for a modular UPS in an N+1 parallel redundant configuration.
As authorised Riello UPS resellers and service partners, Ashdale opted for the Multi Power and its compact (MPX) cabinet, plus 25 kW power modules.
The total installation of 120 kVA and 30 minutes battery runtime was divided into two separate UPS systems. The first featured 3 x 25 kW modules to give 40 kVA plus spare module capacity. The second system fitted 5 x 25 kW modules to deliver 80 kVA plus spare capacity.
Both UPS were fitted with NetMan 204 communications cards to assist with monitoring and management. As well as carrying out the installation, Ashdale Engineering Ltd will also now undertake ongoing maintenance and support for the UPS system.
“Having installed and commissioned Multi Power in several other key sites across Northern Ireland including hospitals, data centres, and broadcasting facilities, we were very assured of the product’s reliability and suitability for this particular application.
“The compact cabinet with 25 kW modules allowed us to provide a perfect solution at a competitive price in a small footprint.”
– Colin Simms, Operations Director for Ashdale Engineering Ltd